Freedom’s Cry
Did you see my face?
Did you see my face on that day,
That dark, dark day, when all sin was held at bay.
Could you look at me,
When bearing my sin and shame, Hanging there upon that tree,
While I remain, thinking my sin is only for me to see.
But you, you saw it.
You wore it.
You bore it.
Just so you could declare me free.
However marvellous this may be,
I still feel so unworthy to simply be.
A man tarnished by sin,
yet by grace was brought in,
to a life everlasting.
And yet here I question
If the sacrifice you made was for us all.
I look out into this intelligently designed world,
And all I can see is pain
A world crying out beneath the weight of suffering,
And yet you speak all can be made free
Now I’m left thinking, what is free?
I would have thought it meant
Freedom from pain
Freedom from hurt
Freedom from suffering
Yet another day comes and I hear another life is lost.
An attack.
A humanitarian catastrophe.
A child crying as another bomb drops.
An event gathered to worship you, now turned into a place of mourning.
So Lord, hear my cry
And hear your people
What is this freedom that you promised?
If you paid the price
conquered death,
and left while declaring us free
Then why does this world still bleed.
Why is innocent blood so often shed, at the cost of someone’s gain?
Why does tomorrow bring another tragedy,
When yesterday you spoke,
“It is finished”
But perhaps I have misunderstood
What you meant when you cried out
“It is finished”
For the pain did not end,
The crying has not stopped,
The wail of man in need of you still remains
So what did you declare,
What was finished on that dark, dark day?
Sin.
Death.
Our eternal separation.
Perhaps freedom was never
Freedom from pain,
But freedom from the grips of death, for death could not hold you, the veil tore before you, now and forever God you reign.
For you entered my world of sin and shame
And carved a way through the sickness and pain
You tasted death but from that you rose
And in your rising, you showed us death is certainly not the end but the gateway to something eternal. Something where there is no more crying and suffering comes to an end.
This broken world is what may remain
But you have commissioned us to be the change.
So, Lord I ask,
Create in me a new heart and set me ablaze to lead the way, a way that may be marked by pain and suffering but leads people deeper into your amazing grace. I give my life to the one that died on that tree, the one that took pain and bore my shame. The one that made an instrument of death, an open door to eternity, an eternity of unexplainable peace and unconditional love. For in you, all things are made new, love made pure, tears are no more and your people are reconciled.
Yes, I believe in freedom. But the freedom I long for belongs to you. So Jesus here I am, longing for you.
And may my heart always rejoice in the fact that,
“Earth has no sorrow that heaven can’t heal”
And for those who are reading…
Jesus is calling,
His freedom is for you too.
You don’t have to earn it,
None of us truly deserve it.
But still He made a way.
All we must do is simply, follow His way.
Come to Jesus.
Lay down all sin,
All burdens,
All shame.
Believe in the one who died for you, rose again, and calls you His own.
Jesus, be the centre.
This is my surrender.
On the darkest day,
or my last day,
only you are worthy.
So, Jesus.
YOU ARE OUR FREEDOM.
YOU ARE OUR HOPE.
YOU ARE OUR GOD.
IN YOU WE TRUST.
John 3:16
⁃ For God so loved the world, that He gave His only son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
1 Peter 4:15-17
⁃ If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives on them and they in God. And so we know and rely on the love of God has for us. GOD IS LOVE. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have every confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus.
A lament written down upon this page, a cry from a guy wrestling with grief and rage with a question of why engraved on his heart.
Written after Big Church Festival,
Where a life was lost,
Nepal’s news and endless wars breaks my heart, while reminding me everything comes at a cost,
Death is seemingly all I can see,
So these are my thoughts, my prayer, my personal plea.
Comments
Post a Comment